Due to the continued uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 U.S. Girls’ Junior Championship and the U.S. Junior Amateur Championship have been canceled and will not be rescheduled.
The 72nd U.S. Girls’ Junior, was scheduled for July 13-18 on the Blue Course at the U.S. Air Force Academy’s Eisenhower Golf Club in Colorado Springs, CO. The Northern Ohio Golf Association’s Cleveland-area qualifying tournament had been scheduled for Chagrin Valley Country Club in Chagrin Falls on Thursday, June 11th.
The 73rd U.S. Junior Amateur, was scheduled to be played July 20-25 at Hazeltine National Golf Club and Chaska Town Course, both in Chaska, MN. NOGA’s Cleveland-area qualifying tournament had been scheduled for Lakewood Country Club in Westlake on Monday, July 6th
ENTRY PUSHED TO MAY 18 FOR AM CHAMPIONSHIPS
In addition to the cancellation of the Junior championships, the USGA has made the decision to delay opening entries until the week of May 18 for six additional amateur championships played in late summer and fall:
– U.S. Women’s Amateur (Aug. 3-9 at Woodmont Country Club in Rockville, MD)
[Qualifier: Portage Country Club, Akron, Thu Jul 23];
– U.S. Amateur (Aug. 10-16 at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort, OR)
[Qualifier: The Country Club, Pepper Pike, Mon Jul 20];
– U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur (Aug. 28-Sept. 3 at Berkeley Hall Club in Bluffton, SC)
[no Cleveland-area qualifier];
– U.S. Senior Amateur (Aug. 28-Sept. 3 at Country Club of Detroit in Grosse Pointe Farms, MI)
[Qualifier: Kirtland Country Club, Willoughby, Thu Jul 30];
– U.S. Mid-Amateur (Sept. 12-17 at Kinloch Golf Club / Independence Golf Club in Midlothian, VA)
[Qualfier: Avon Oaks Country Club, Avon, Thu Aug 6];
– U.S. Senior Women’s Amateur (Sept. 12-17 at The Lakewood Club in Point Clear, AL)
[no Cleveland-area qualifier].
The USGA will continue to rely on Center for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations, as well as state and local government guidelines in locations where championships and qualifiers are to be conducted, in determining schedule considerations for the remaining six 2020 amateur championships.