John Topeka and Jim Durr made it as the last two men standing in the Championship Division of the Akron District Golf Association’s Dave Towell Cadillac Shootout at the Raymond C. Firestone 9 on Sunday.
Lucky for them, the hottest player in the 10 man field, Aaron Crewse, blinked on the 8th green after trying to gun in his 25 foot birdie putt. Crewse had every reason to believe he would make it, as he was five under par through seven holes. But he sent his birdie effort six feet past, three-putted, and was eliminated.
So Durr and Topeka took to the par three ninth hole to decide the winner. Both players hit the green; Topeka to 30 feet and Durr to 15.
When both players just barely missed their birdie putts, a 50-foot chip-off from the front of the green was set to decide the winner.
Durr went first, hit a great chip, but didn’t realize the area past the hole sloped away. His ball kept running to about 8 feet.
Topeka chipped second, and his shot came up short of the downhill. And about 8 feet short of the hole. Eyeing the two balls, no difference could be seen. Only after directors Dave Chapple and Tim Davis used the flagstick to measure was it determined that Topeka had won, by about two inches.
In the Senior Division, Jim Cea repeated as shootout champion, making birdie to beat Mark Thomas on the final hole.
A breakdown of elimination by hole for each division is listed below, along with the results from the skins game played before the Shootout.
See the Photo Gallery here that tells a lot of the story from the early eliminations. A truly fun event…
Akron District Golf Association
2014 Dave Towell Cadillac Shootout
Raymond C. Firestone 9, Akron
Sunday, August 17th
CHAMPIONSHIP DIVISION: in order of elimination
1. Mike Armour (tee shot OB; Smith, Stefanski, Trier bogeys, no birdies)
2. Dave Trier (lost chip-off with Topeka; birdie by Crewse)
3. Mark Guadagni (par; Crewse and Stefanskie eagle, all other birdies)
4. Ty Kovach (tee shot OB; all others pars)
5. Ryan Stefanski (bogey; all others pars)
6. Allen Freeman (lost 4-player chip-off; Crewse birdie all others pars)
7. Brian Smith (lost chip-off to Durr; Crewse and Topeka birdies)
8. Aaron Crewse (three-putt bogey; others pars)
9. Jim Durr (lost chip-off to Topeka) $150
WINNER: JOHN TOPEKA $200
SENIOR DIVISION: in order of elimination
1. Tom Laubacher
2. Tim Davis
3. Mark Borlin
4. Tom Seever
5. Jeff Dean
6. Mark Thomas (par to birdie) $150
WINNER: JIM CEA $200
SKINS RESULTS: $84 ea
Chuck DeRemer eagle #3
Mike Armour birdie #4
Jim Cea #7 birdie
Tom Laubacher #8 birdie
Tom Laubacher #15 birdie