After much discussion among the team here at Cleveland Metroparks Golf, and in talking with some our tournament players, we have made some changes to our 2020 events in the Player of the Year Series.
First off, we have condensed the number of tournaments for this season. With fewer events, we are hoping for larger fields and bigger prize pots. Event fees will only include payments for greens fees and prizes this year; power cart rentals are now always paid separately.
The event with the biggest change is our top event, the Greater Cleveland Amateur Championship, which will be played at Sleepy Hollow Golf Course in Brecksville this season.
After getting constructive feedback from some of our regular players and reviewing participation in recent years, we are reducing the number of rounds for the event. In the past, a player qualifying for the finals and making the cut was committed to playing five rounds. That kind of time commitment can be difficult for many players.
With that, we’ve decided to make the four qualifying Course Championships one round events, and the Greater Cleveland Amateur Champion two rounds. Entry fees have also been reduced. With these changes, we are hoping more players will be enticed to enter the qualifiers.
We are condensing the time frame to earn Player of The Year Points for the CMG Bonus Pool payout in 2020 as well. The Bill Barbour Cup will be the final event this year, with the series finishing on Sep 5th.
2020 Cleveland Metroparks Golf Schedule
May 9 – Stroke Play, Shawnee Hills
May 16 – Two Player Scramble, Manakiki
May 30 – Jr./Sr. Better Ball, Sleepy Hollow
July 6 & 7 – Senior Greater Cleveland Amateur Championship
July 11 – Manakiki Course Championship & GCAC Qualifier
July 12 – Shawnee Hills Course Championship & GCAC Qualifier
July 18 – Sleepy Hollow Course Championship & GCAC Qualifier
July 19 – Seneca Course Championship & GCAC Qualifier
August 8 & 9 – Greater Cleveland Amateur Championship*
August 15 – Individual Stableford, Seneca
September 5 – Two Player Bill Barbour Cup, Sleepy Hollow
All events above earn Player of the Year points toward the bonus pool.
* – a World Amateur Golf Ranking Event
What Players Should Expect at CMG Tournaments
As we enter into the season, we all know we are in a constantly-changing environment; it seems things change almost weekly. Like all courses, Cleveland Metroparks Golf has had to adapt operations to comply with the orders from state and local officials. For those wanting to enter our events, here are some things to be aware of as of the writing of this preview:
• Clubhouses are only open for restroom use.
• No prepared food, only bottled drinks and packaged snacks. All sales are through temporary windows.
• One Person Per Cart
• With limited power carts you must contact the golf course pro/manager to let them know if you need a cart or are walking. If you are reserving a cart we ask that you pay in advance to avoid an in-person transaction.
• Players are asked not come to the course too early and to depart the course directly at the end of the round as to avoid groups gathering.
• No caddies or spectators will be allowed on the course.
• No scoreboards. Scores will be posted on-line and prize payouts can be picked up that day or at a later time.
• Pro/Managers will reach out to each player/group with any other details.
Golf Course Operations
• Driving Ranges and Putting Greens are Closed
• Manakiki and Shawnee Hills has installed pool noodles in cups. All other courses have gone with inverted cups.
• Ball is deemed to be “holed out” when ball settles in cup.
• Flagsticks must remain in the hole.
• Bunker rakes and balls washers have been removed.
• Touch point areas in carts are being treated with a disinfectant or sanitizer after every round.
Note that as the requirements for tournament operations change, we will post those changes online.